After this picture this dress is going in the donate pile. I don't think it was the pattern, I think the fabric just stretched way too much on the top. I tried to add elastic to the binding but to no avail. I will use this pattern again but I will use stable fabric or underline and do stay stitching on the neckline!
Thursday, July 26, 2012
I'm not modeling this because it does not look good as a dress. A beach cover-up maybe. I still like the pattern but if I make it again I will delete the pleat on the back, it sits on your butt and looks bad. Plus it hikes it up in the back. For me it needs to be about three inches longer, except for the tail.
Since I just had two not so successful sewing projects, I needed something quick and easy! This is from Martha Stewart. Buy some wood beads and Rit Dye. String the beads on wire, drop in the dye bath and you are good to go. I strung the beads on some silk thread and added some old spray painted keys.
Thursday, July 5, 2012
It seems like this is a very popular pattern now. I love the full skirt. But once again the top was the custom fit for cup size and it did not fit, and there is no good way of altering it once it was done. I wasn't even going to wear it when I put it on, but I got four compliments when I was out and about. The fabric is Marimekko and it is a shower curtain from Crate and Barrel. I have two other Marimekko sheet sets just waiting to be make into dresses.
I never make muslins, so I was a bit wary when cutting the embroidered silk. I just cut out the largest size and added elastic to the waist band to make it fit. I've worn this two times and have been complimented both times. That surprised me because the pattern is different.
Note to self: don't ever use the C cup adjustment on the custom fit patterns. The top on McCalls 6554 was huge, with no good fix. So I chopped it off, went into the fabric stash and the pattern stash and cut a new top. Glad about the save because the embroidered fabric is beautiful. Must say that my skin almost matches the dress, it's boiling outside.
I do like that the replacement fabric for the top looks better than if I had used the same fabric for both the top and bottom. From the leftover top fabric I cut out a jacket, but that is still in the to be sewed pile. Hope to get to that this summer.